Bonnie — the unicycle-riding, trumpet-playing, lepidopterist who writes at Intellectuelle — has tagged me to join in a new meme with the following rules:
- Let others know who tagged you.
- Post 8 random facts about yourself.
- Post these rules.
- Tag 8 others to continue the meme
Here is my riveting list of random trivia.
1. I played the baritone horn in elementary school, an instrument so big I had to lug it to school in my Radio Flyer wagon.
2. When I was 16 and working as a cook for Kentucky Fried Chicken, I developed a deep and abiding love for fried chicken livers.
3. My first car was a 1963 VW beetle. I learned to repair it with John Muir’s Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot, then became the designated VW mechanic for all my friends.
4. My teen-aged ambition was to be “just a singer in a rock and roll band”. The Moody Blues was my favorite group.
5. I can never remember the words to songs, but the musical harmonies and rhythms of a song stay locked in my mind after only a couple of hearings.
6. After paying my respects to all 31 flavors in a Baskin-Robbins, I always end up with 2 scoops of chocolate chip in a waffle cone.
7. My ideal summer day would be sailing a 16-footer out Beaufort inlet, heading east along Shackelford Banks on the outside, then dropping anchor behind the Cape Lookout lighthouse. Thanks, Brack, for lots of great summer sailing.
8. I once blew up a yellow-jacket nest with a fire cracker. Bad idea.
I tag the following bloggers:
Scott W Kay
Ha! I really enjoyed this! I sure hope my boys don’t get any ideas about that wasp nest…
Your yellow-jacket item reminds me of something my ex-husband said when we were still married. We were driving somewhere, and he said, “Hmm. Smells like burning ants.”
When I pressed for details, because I had no clue how burning ants smell or how they can burn, he said when he was a kid, he’d focus magnifying glass light onto a line of ants, and they’d smell that special way.
I think the wanton destruction of insects is a boy thing…
Thanks for playing, Charlie 🙂
I saw a ’56 Bug at the local car show last weekend – it brought back memories of my mom’s ’58. I still remember trips to grandma’s and being terrified by the semis blowing by! She finally sold it in the late 80s, I think.
There’s a book called Voyage of the Heart about a man’s sailing journey from Florida to Rochester, NY. The author, Dave Tripiciano, a band director in the Rochester area, tells of God’s blessings and protection.
trumpet playing, unicycle-riding lepidopterist
That’s quite a picture, Charlie…if I really could ride a unicycle with a trumpet in one hand and butterfly net in the other, I could join the circus!
It’s up! Thanks for the tag, Charlie. Hope you’re doing well.
Better late than never. I actually responded to this meme on someone else’s tag, earlier this summer. But thanks for thinking of me.